There’s a new site up represented by /v/ of 4chan that is hosting the newly created /v/GAs or Vidya Gaem Awards. These are gaming awards created by the community and voted on by the community. The primary motivation behind the creation of the /v/GAs is to counteract the god awful misrepresentation shoved in our faces each year by Spike’s VGA nonsense which is a pitiful excuse for an award show and deserves no recognition as such by any gamer.
There are categories for both the upside and downside of gaming in 2011. All of these categories and their respected nominations were selected by the /v/ community and include:
- Rehash award – least improved sequel
- Best voice acting – best general voice acting in a game
- Press X to win award – most awful gameplay
- Karl Marx award – most capitalistic publisher
- Most hated game of the year
- Least hated game of the year
- Alright publisher award – publisher of the year
- Eargasm award – best soundtrack
The list goes on. There’s even a category for fattest developer which Gabe Newell is the only candidate for.
Fortunately they require you to log in with your Steam account so you can’t vote more than once, which helps to retain any credibility there is to be had by these awards among the gaming community. Now the only obstacle is finding a way to replace all of the categories at the 2012 VGAs with these and all of the advertisements with Rick Astley; effectively taking over Spike’s show and killing two birds with one brick.
Voting is still open for the next nine days, so get your vote in while you can!
Update: The results show is now available on Youtube.